Firewalking Festival 2021
October 5 - October 25
Firewalking Festival 2021
The annual Firewalking festival is a significant religious event for Hindus in Singapore. It is 3-month long festival with several pre-event day ceremonies that culminate to the Firewalking Day on 24 October 2021. It takes place at Singapore’s oldest Hindu temple, the Sri Mariamman Temple at South Bridge Road.
The festival has a long history and has been part of the Hindu life in Singapore for more than 150 years. It was introduced by those who were brought here by the British to work from the villages of Tamil Nadu, a state in Southern India. The event is part of the folklore of the Indian epic Mahabharatha and is in honour of Goddess Sri Drowpathai Amman, a main character of the epic and one of the main deities at Sri Mariamman Temple. It symbolises the completion of her vow at the end of the great war in that epic.
The festival starts on 16 August 2021 with Kodiyetram (festival flag hoisting). Firewalking day is on 24 October 2021 and post-event ceremonies will conclude on 28 October 2021.
INFORMATION ON FIREWALKING FESTIVAL 2021
- The annual Firewalking festival will take place on Sunday, 24 October 2021 at Sri Mariamman Temple, South Bridge Road. Pre-events have started since 15 August 2021. The Temple Management Committee continues to work with the authorities to plan the festival adhering to all the safe management measures.
- Due to increasing COVID-19 community infections, we seek the understanding of the devotees that plans may change, and further restrictions imposed.
- Only limited number of devotees can participate based on advisory governing religious events.
- Registration is mandatory for all devotees who are fulfilling their vows both for Pre-events in the upcoming weekends and on Firewalking Day.
Details of Online Registration
- There will be 2 Phases of online registration. Phase 1 will focus on Pre-events and Phase 2 will focus on Firewalking Day.
- All Pre-events like Paalkudam, Angapradakshanam, and Kumbiduthandam require prior online registration. These activities will start from 1 October 2021.
- The registration for Pre-events (Phase 1) will open on Friday, 24 September 2021 at 10am. Devotees can click here to book for Pre-events.
- Phase 2 registration for participation on the day of Firewalking will open on the second week of October 2021, subject to prevailing conditions.
- Devotees registering online to participate will receive an Email and SMS confirmation upon successful booking and payment made. E-Payment options are provided on the registration portal.
General Conditions of Participation
- Devotees participating should be fully vaccinated (indicated by a green tick on the Trace Together App / confirmation after scanning of token on Trace Together Business App) or have a valid Pre-Event Test (PET) done by an approved clinic or test provider. PET is valid only for 24 hours and should cover till the end of participation.
- Children who are below the age of 12 are strongly discouraged from booking for pre-events due to the fact that they are not vaccinated.
- Only registered participants are allowed to enter the temple for fulfilling their vows. Booking is only deemed confirmed upon successful online payment.
- Only ONE person is allowed per registration and only the registered person will be allowed into the temple to fulfil the vow. No one else will be allowed to accompany the devotee who had registered.
- Devotees taking part in Paalkudam, Angapradakshanam, Kumbiduthandam are only allowed to go around the temple once through a designated pathway to fulfil their vow.
- Only Paalkudams and Maavilakus prepared by the Temple will be issued to registered devotees. Self-prepared Paalkudams and Maavilakus will not be allowed.
- Registered devotees are advised to come only 15 minutes before their designated time slot. Those who come too early will not be allowed to enter till their timeslot and those who are late may not be allowed to enter the temple.
- Masks must be worn for all events, including Angaprathachanam and Kumbiduthandam.
- Based on recommended safe management measures, there will be no shower facilities within the temple.
- Water will not be sprayed or splashed on the floor for both Kumbiduthandam and Angapradakshanam. Please be informed that both these vows have to be performed in dry conditions. Devotees are asked to take these dry conditions into consideration before deciding to register.
Conditions specifically for the day of Firewalking (24 October 2021)
- Those below the age of 16 years and female devotees are not permitted to walk on the fire pit.
- Participants who are between 16 to 20 years of age must proceed to Sri Mariamman Temple with their parent or legal guardian to verify and register their participation before 16 October 2021.
- Devotees crossing the fire pit will not be allowed to carry offerings such as garlands or ceremonial objects.
- Female participants are only allowed to go around the firepit once to fulfil their vow.
No walk-in entry for Pre-events and on Firewalking Day
- Due to restrictions in numbers and to allow for more devotees to fulfil their vows, there will not be entry to general walk-in devotees on Pre-Event and Firewalking days.
- There will also not be any opportunity for seated onlookers or supporters within the temple.