“Vivaha – A Marriage Preparation for Hindu Couples” (referred to as MPP hereafter) is a programme jointly organised by Hindu Endowments Board (HEB) and Hindu Centre. The MPP aims to help couples tying the knot to understand the meaning of Hindu rituals in a traditional wedding, how to manage finances as a young family, and deal with practices of families of origins.
There were no pre-marital programmes customised for Hindus until 2013 when HEB and Hindu Centre collaborated to conduct the MPP, with the infusion of Hindu concepts.
The 1.5-day programme has been designed to enhance marriages in the Hindu Community with the union of both the secular and non-secular segments associated in these marriages. The programme is conducted by professionals who have the expertise in these respective areas.
Benefits of the programme include:
- understanding the purpose of marriage,
- solving conflicts using secular and scriptural concepts,
- exposing couples to real values of marriage and responsibility, and
- turning a wedding plan into a lifelong marriage commitment.
Couples who have attended the programme so far have commented on how the different segments have helped to quell certain anxiety about wedding rituals, and at the same time provide them with a platform to ponder over secular topics, such as communication and finances.
- Understanding the Concept of Family of Origin (FOO)
- Family Values
- Positive Communication
- Partnership in the Marriage
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Financial Planning
- Concept of Marriage
- Dharma & Karma in Marriage
- Managing Religious Differences
- Understanding Specific Rites in the Wedding
The intertwining of both the secular and non-secular segments provide a rich platform for the couples, as it allows one to demystify myths and comprehend better the meaning behind the guiding principles in these areas.
*Topics covered may be subject to changes.
Due to the circuit breaker measures, the scheduled Marriage Preparation Programme in April 2020 has been postponed. New dates for the programme will be announced in due course. Thank you.