THEEMITHI (FIREWALKING) FESTIVAL 2022
The annual Theemithi (Firewalking) Festival is a significant religious event for Hindus in Singapore. It is 3-month long festival with several pre-event day ceremonies that culminate to the Theemithi (Firewalking) Day on 16 October 2022. It takes place at Singapore’s oldest Hindu temple, the Sri Mariamman Temple at South Bridge Road.
The festival has a long history and has been part of the Hindu life in Singapore for more than 150 years. It was introduced by those who were brought here by the British to work from the villages of Tamil Nadu, a state in Southern India. The event is part of the folklore of the Indian epic Mahabharatha and is in honour of Goddess Sri Drowpathai Amman, a main character of the epic and one of the main deities at Sri Mariamman Temple. It symbolises the completion of her vow at the end of the great war in that epic.
The festival starts on 1 August 2022 with Kodiyetram (festival flag hoisting). Theemithi (Firewalking) is on 16 October 2022 and post-event ceremonies will conclude on 20 October 2022.
Mondays – Sundays
Morning: 6:00am to 12:00pm
Evening: 6:00pm to 9:00pm
Archanai services will end at 11:30am and 8:30pm daily.
Registration for Pre-Events and Theemithi (Firewalking) Day will open from Friday, 16 September 2022 (10:00am) to Monday, 10 October 2022 (11:59pm).
INFORMATION ON THEEMITHI (FIREWALKING) FESTIVAL 2022
- The annual Theemithi (Firewalking) festival will take place on Sunday, 16 October 2022 at Sri Mariamman Temple, South Bridge Road.
- Registration is mandatory for all devotees who are fulfilling their vows both for pre-events in the upcoming weekends and on Theemithi Day. There are no direct walk-in sale of tickets on all days.
- We seek the understanding of the devotees that plans may change, and further restrictions imposed according to prevailing Covid-19 advisories and bookings may be voided and participation fees will be refunded.
Details of Online Registration
- ONLINE REGISTRATION is required for pre-events (Paalkudam, Angaprathachanam, Kumbiduthandam) and for participation on Theemithi (Firewalking) Day,
- Participating devotees should be fully vaccinated.
- Online registration for pre-events and Theemithi Day will open on Friday, 16 September 2022 at 10am and close on Monday, 10 October 2022 at 11:59pm. Click here to register now.
- All pre-events like Paalkudam, Angaprathachanam, and Kumbiduthandam will start from 30 September 2022.
- Registered devotees are advised to come only 30 minutes before their designated time slot. Those who come too early will not be allowed to enter till their designated timeslot.
- Devotees registering online to participate will receive an Email and SMS confirmation upon successful booking and payment made. E-Payment options are provided on the registration portal.
- As booking is on a first come first serve basis, participants are urged to register early. Once booked, the timing cannot be changed.
General Conditions of Participation
- Devotees participating must be fully vaccinated.
- Only registered participants are allowed to fulfil their vows. Booking is only deemed confirmed upon successful online payment.
- To participate in the respective ritual(s), registration confirmation (SMS or E-mail notification) must be shown to enter Sri Mariamman Temple and Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple.
- Devotees taking part in Paalkudam, Angaprathachanam, Kumbiduthandam are only allowed to go around the temple once through a designated pathway to fulfil their vow.
- Only Paalkudams and Maavilakus prepared by the Temple will be issued to registered devotees. Self-prepared Paalkudams and Maavilakus will not be allowed.
- Registered devotees are advised to come only 30 minutes before their designated time slot. Those who come too early will not be allowed to enter till their timeslot and those who are late may not be allowed to enter the temple.
Conditions specifically for the day of Theemithi (16 October 2022)
- Male devotees crossing the firepit on Sunday,16 October 2022 can only register to collect their wristband and kanganam at the stipulated time slots and venue:
- Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple (PGP Hall) – Available time slots: 5pm, 6pm and 7pm
- Sri Mariamman Temple (Pagoda Street) – Available time slots: 9:30pm, 10:30pm and 11:30pm
- Devotees who book to collect their wristbands and kanganam at Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple will not be allowed to collect from Sri Mariamman Temple or vice versa.
- Those below the age of 16 years and female devotees are not permitted to walk on the fire pit.
- Participants who are between 16 to 20 years of age must proceed to Sri Mariamman Temple in the evenings from 7pm to 9pm with their parent or legal guardian to verify and register their participation before 10 October 2022.
- Devotees crossing the fire pit will not be allowed to carry offerings such as garlands or ceremonial objects.
- Female participants are only allowed to go around the firepit once to fulfil their vow.