Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple
These men got together and purchased a piece of land measuring 2 acres 2 woods and 24 poles from the East India Company in 1851 for 26 rupees and 8 annas (at that period of time Indian currency was still used in the Settlement of Singapore). The temple they built in 1885 was referred to as the Narasinga Perumal Kovil.
The original temple structure remained unchanged until the early 1950s. In 1952, the MHEB decided to rebuild and reinstate the Temple. Redevelopment was only carried out in the early 1960s when well known Indian community leader and philanthropist Mr P. Govindasamy Pillay financed much of the works. Mr Pillay is credited with building the first two storey marriage hall within the temple. It was officially opened by Enche Yusoff Bin Ishak, the first president of Singapore on 19th June 1965.
The present building minus the Pillaiyar sanctum, Rajagopuram (grand tower entrance) and the covered walkway were completed in 1966. At this juncture, many elders advised that the main deity of the temple be changed from the imposing Sri Narasimha to the gracious Sri Srinivasa Perumal. The temple was thus renamed Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple.
Although financial constraints had prevented the addition of a Rajagopuram to the façade of the temple in the early days, in 1979, Rajagopuram was erected. All costs for the entire construction and renovation works in the 1970s redevelopment phase were generously borne by Mr P Govindasamy Pillay.
In 1978, Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple was declared a National Monument by the Preservation of Monuments Board.
The temple underwent major facelifts in 1987, 1992 and 2005. During the different phases of redevelopment, improvements were made to the façade and facilities to meet imperative devotee needs. Visitors to the temple today can witness the painstaking efforts undertaken by the temple’s successive management committees to ensure that its conservation status was maintained. From well laid out sanctums, rich sculptural embellishments to an ornate mandapam (pillared pavillion) built for the worship of processional deities, these and many more new features make the temple an embodiment of Hinduism.
Some of the major festivals celebrated here are Brahmotsavam, Vaikunda Ekathesi and Purattasi Sani.
Sundays – Fridays
Morning: 5:30am to 12:00pm
Evening: 5:30pm to 9:00pm
Morning: 6:00am to 12:30pm
Evening: 5:30pm to 9:30pm
|Indra Vimanam Sevai||$751|
|Homam (Each Deity) (2 kinds of Prasadam provided)||$251|
|Navagraha Homam (9 Kinds of Prasadam provided)||$351|
|108 Kalasa Abishegam||$451|
|Margazhi Thiruppalli Ezhuchi Poojai||$51|
|Prayers for New Vehicle||$31|
|Uchikaala/ Arthajama Special Poojai||$51|
|30th Day Prayers for a new born child||$51|
|Namakaranam (Child naming ceremony)||$51|
|Annaprasanam (First feed for child)||$51|
|Vidyarambam (Individual Prayers)||$51|
|Sathya Narayana Poojai||$251|
|Thirumanjanam (Other Deities)||$125|
|Vennai Kappu for Sri Anjaneyar||$351|
|Santhanakappu for Anjaneyar||$301|
|Sri Vishnu Homam/ Thirumanjanam (Moolavar) only on Fridays||$501|
|Sri Vishnu Homam (Utsavar)||$351|
|Sri Sookta Homam||$301|
|Ekanda Sevai (Sundays to Fridays)||$101|
|Ekanda Sevai (Saturdays)||$201|
|Nethra Sevai / Thiruppaavadai (Only on Thursday mornings)||$151|
|Poolangi Sevai (Only on Thursday evenings)||$251|
|Sri Mahalakshmi Kuberayagam||$751|
|Gold Chariot Procession||$501|
|Chairman:||Mr V Selvam|
|Vice Chairman:||Mr Tam Shanmugam|
|Secretary:||Mr Sivakumaran Sathappan|
|Finance Member:||Mr Alagappan Perianan|
|Members:||Ms M Valathammai
Mr KT Vishnu
Mr K Sugumaran
Mr M Ravi Chandran
Mr Saravana Pillai
Mr K Kalaiselvan
Mr P Chandrasekar
Mr Arularasan s/o Ramasamy